Applying for a college grant – P21 Balancing Statements

P21 Balancing Statement

I need a P21 to apply for a grant – what is a P21 and how do I get one?

You may need to send a PAYE Balancing Statement (Form P21) to your Local Authority, Bank, Building Society etc. as proof of earnings for the purpose of obtaining an education grant, a house or a loan etc. A PAYE Balancing Statement gives details of your total income, tax credits and PAYE tax paid for a particular tax year. It also shows whether you have overpaid or underpaid tax for the year. If you have overpaid tax, a cheque for the amount overpaid will be attached. If you have underpaid tax your tax office will indicate if, and how the underpayment will be collected – usually by reduction of your tax credits for a subsequent tax year.

For more information on this service please go to the PAYE Anytime facility where you can request a review of your tax liability (Balancing Statement/P21).

Back to Top

What is a P21?

A P21 is a statement of total income, tax credit and tax paid for a particular tax year.

Back to Top

Will my P60 not suffice?

No, because, you may have more than one source of income or you may be jointly assessed with your spouse which means that a P60 from one employer would not give the full information required.

Back to Top

How do I get a P21?

The quickest and easiest way to get the Form P21 is to request it online from PAYE Anytime. If you have not already registered, you can register now.

Once logged on to PAYE Anytime, select the relevant prior tax year, then ‘Request a (P21) Balancing Statement’ and follow the on-screen instructions.  Remember to click on ‘Submit all changes’ before exiting.

You can also request a P21 by forwarding your Form P60 (and, if relevant, a Form P60 for your spouse) for the tax year to your local Revenue office and asking for a P21. If you wish to claim any additional tax credits you should submit the necessary information e.g. details of PRSA contributions etc. Receipts etc must be kept for 6 years as Revenue may ask for them at a later stage. Your tax office will advise you if any further information is required. You can also claim additional tax credits online from PAYE Anytime.

Remember: if you are already registered for PAYE Anytime and have signed up to receive your correspondence electronically your (P21) Balancing Statement or any other correspondence from Revenue will be viewable under the “Your Request History” tab in PAYE Anytime.

Back to Top

Where do I send my request?

To request a P21 in writing you should send your request to your local Revenue office – the address of your local office is printed on your tax credit certificate or on any correspondence issued to you from Revenue. You should send your request in as early as possible to avoid delay.

Back to Top

How long will it take to get a P21?

A P21 requested from PAYE Anytime will be issued immediately and should be received within 4 to 5 days. A P21 requested in writing, by phone or by calling into a local office will be sent to you as soon as possible. However, it is not as quick as the online request and there may be some delay during peak periods. It is essential that you apply for a P21 in good time and that you indicate that the P21 is required urgently for the purposes of a grant. etc.