Start your own business – 1.0 Tax Registration

This is the first in a series of posts to guide you through the steps needed to start your own business in 2012.

At McDowell & Co as part of our service we take you through each step thoroughly, to help you understand how the process can effect you.

Below is a guide as provided by the Revenue Commissioners.

How do I register for Tax?

You should advise the tax office when you start in business. You can do this by filling in one of the following forms:

These forms are available from any Revenue Office, and can be used to register for any or all of the following:

  • Income Tax
  • Employer’s PAYE/PRSI
  • Value Added Tax
  • Relevant Contracts Tax

If you are setting up a company you should fill in pdf Form TR2 – Tax Registration form for Companies (PDF, 260KB). This can be used to register for any or all of the following:

Shortly after registration you may receive a visit or you may request a visit from a Revenue official to assist you in operating the tax system. Any difficulties or queries will be dealt with and general assistance will be given to help you comply with your tax obligations. You can request a “New Business Visit” from your local Revenue office.